- This event has passed.
Weekend Permablitz with “Bring & Share” Lunch, Sunday 1 July 2018
July 1 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Our permablitzes are a great excuse for our volunteer group to share skills, team-work, enthusiasm and food. We schedule the blitzes for a couple of hours (from 11am – 1pm) to cover the time we need to work on the plot but they tend to go on longer with the “Bring & Share” lunch we have from 1pm after the work has finished and we sit down for a bite to eat social get-together.
Our project is quite informal really. Everyone just does what they can and joins in with what they like, when they like.
Those wanting to stay for lunch are asked to bring snacks to contribute to the “Bring & Share” lunch. After that, lunch takes as long as it takes – usually until the conversation finishes and someone says we should probably go home.
We have a welcoming group, where everyone is there to “muck in” and work together for the common goal of creating and maintaining something special, our permaculture-led community garden.
Our garden activities are focused on developing the Forest Garden and raised bed planting area using permaculture principles. It’s early days for our project so the activities generally revolve around developing the soil, planting beds, composting, capturing rainwater and clearing land for planting up.
Our activity list is evolving like this:
- Sheet/lasagna mulching to extend the flower beds
- Maintaining the compost heaps / making compost
- Making signs for the composting areas – inside & out
- Cutting back grass, nettles, brambles etc – at the back of the barn and in the tennis courts
- Creating rainwater capture & dispersal points – water butts, irrigation hoses etc.
- Building raised beds (to go beside the barn)
- Planting perennials – like comfrey beside the compost bins
- Planting fruit trees and small shrubs
- Developing seedlings for planting out
- Planting in guilds
- Creating plant (public info) signs
- Composting – trench etc
- Mulching – cut and drop, sheet etc
- Creating planting beds in the allotment areas behind the house
- Picking, Eating, Sharing – food, knowledge and recipes…
As always, your donations to the project and plot are gratefully received – whether you’re volunteering your time or any material contributions.
We’re currently in need of these items so please donate as much as you can:
- brown cardboard (for compost and mulch)
- compost material (green or brown organic material)
- carpet (made from natural material/wool) – to cover the soil
- tarpaulin/ plastic sheeting – to cover the soil
- Wood – for bedding material, raised beds, and ultimately a garden shed!
- Compost bin signs – for inside and outside reminders
- Planting containers, tyres etc
- Water butts
- A shed!
Everyone is welcome to join in.
We run a permablitz twice a month – one Wednesday (usually the last of every month) and one Saturday or Sunday (usually around the third in the month).
We’ll provide some tools, guidance, drinks and a friendly atmosphere.
What you need to bring:
- Please wear old clothes and suitable footwear appropriate for the season.
- We advise you to bring your own gardening gloves, especially with children.
- Having your own secateurs/ pruners and trugs may be useful.
- Please bring some basic gardening tools to use and anything you can contribute to our mulch and compost.
- Please bring food for the lunchtime “Bring & Share” if you’d like to stick around for a bite to eat after the permablitz garden activity.
Look forward to seeing you in the garden!