- This event has passed.
Weekend Permablitz with “Bring & Share” Lunch, Sunday 20 May 2018
May 20, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Our permablitzes are scheduled for a couple of hours but can sometimes go on longer because they’re a great excuse for our volunteer group to get together to tinker around on the plot and generally have a bit of social time over lunch.
Please bring some snacks for a “Bring & Share” if you’d like to stick around for a bite to eat at lunchtime following the permablitz.
Our garden activities are focused on developing the Forest Garden and raised bed planting area using permaculture principles but because it’s early days for our project, the activities generally revolve around developing the soil, planting beds, composting and capturing rainwater.
Our activity list is evolving like this:
- Sheet/lasagna mulching to extend the flower beds
- Cutting back grass, nettles, brambles etc – at the back of the barn and in the tennis courts
- Maintaining the compost heaps / making compost
- Making signs for the composting areas – inside & out
- Creating rainwater capture & dispersal points – water butts, irrigation hoses etc.
- Building raised beds (to go beside the barn)
- Planting fruit trees and small shrubs
- Developing seedlings for planting out
- Planting perennials – like comfrey beside the compost bins
- Planting in guilds
- Creating plant (public info) signs
- Composting – trench etc
- Mulching – cut and drop, sheet etc
- Creating planting beds in the allotment areas behind the house
- Picking, Eating, Sharing – food, knowledge and recipes…
As always, your donations to the project and plot are gratefully received – whether you’re volunteering your time or any material contributions.
We’re currently in need of these items so please donate as much as you can:
- brown cardboard (for compost and mulch)
- compost material (green or brown organic material)
- carpet (made from natural material/wool) – to cover the soil
- tarpaulin/ plastic sheeting – to cover the soil
- Wood – for bedding material, raised beds, and ultimately a garden shed!
- Compost bin signs – for inside and outside reminders
- Planting containers, tyres etc
- Water butts
- A shed!
Everyone is welcome to join in.
We run a permablitz twice a month – one Wednesday (usually the last of every month) and one Saturday or Sunday (usually around the third in the month).
We’ll provide some tools, guidance, drinks and a friendly atmosphere.
What you need to bring:
- Please wear old clothes and suitable footwear appropriate for the season.
- We advise you to bring your own gardening gloves, especially with children.
- Having your own secateurs/ pruners and trugs may be useful.
- Please bring some basic gardening tools to use and anything you can contribute to our mulch and compost.
- Please bring food for the lunchtime “Bring & Share” if you’d like to stick around for a bite to eat after the permablitz garden activity.
Look forward to seeing you in the garden!