- This event has passed.
Week-day Permablitz (Monthly Meet-Up), Wed 20 June (10am – 1pm)
June 20 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Our June week-day permablitz will take place a week earlier than normal, on Wed 20 May from 10am – 1pm. As usual, it will be led by Westbury Arts Centre’s volunteer gardeners and just like our monthly weekend permablitzes, the activities will be focused on developing the garden and planting areas using permaculture principles.
This event is a great excuse for our volunteer group to get together to tinker around the garden on a Wednesday morning, where the social time extends to a “bring & share” lunch to finish the event.
Please bring some snacks for a “Bring & Share” if you’d like to stick around for a bite to eat at lunchtime following the permablitz.
Right now, volunteer activities revolve around developing the soil, cutting back, planting beds, composting and capturing rainwater.
Our activity list is evolving like this:
- Sheet/lasagna mulching to extend the flower beds
- Cutting back grass, nettles, brambles etc – at the back of the barn and in the tennis courts
- Maintaining the compost heaps / making compost
- Making signs for the composting areas – inside & out
- Creating rainwater capture & dispersal points – water butts, irrigation hoses etc.
- Cutting back and mulching
- Building raised beds (to go beside the barn)
- Planting fruit trees and small shrubs
- Developing seedlings for planting out
- Planting perennials – like comfrey beside the compost bins
- Planting in guilds
- Creating plant (public info) signs
- Composting – trench etc
- Mulching – cut and drop, sheet etc
- Picking, Eating, Sharing – food, knowledge and recipes…
As always, your donations to the project and plot are gratefully received – whether you’re volunteering your time or any material contributions.
We’re currently in need of these items so please donate as much as you can:
- brown cardboard (for compost and mulch)
- compost material (green or brown organic material)
- carpet (made from natural material/wool) or tarpaulin/ plastic sheeting – to cover the soil
- Wood – for bedding material, raised beds, and ultimately a garden shed!
- Compost bin signs – for inside and outside reminders
- Planting containers, tyres etc
- Water butts
- A shed!
Everyone is welcome to join in.
We typically run a permablitz every 3rd Saturday and the last Wednesday of every month.
We’ll provide some tools, guidance, drinks and a friendly atmosphere.
What you need to bring:
- Please wear old clothes and suitable footwear appropriate for the season.
- We advise you to bring your own gardening gloves, especially with children.
- Having your own secateurs/ pruners and trugs may be useful.
- Please bring some basic gardening tools to use and anything you can contribute to our mulch and compost.
- Please bring food for the lunchtime “Bring & Share” if you’d like to stick around for a bite to eat after the permablitz garden activity.
Look forward to seeing you in the garden!