Edible Plants for Emergencies (online workshop from Canada)
This workshop focuses on edible wild and cultivated plants that are particularly useful in the context of emergencies.
CONCERNED ABOUT FOOD SECURITY? NOT SURE WHERE TO GET STARTED?
2020 highlighted the fragility of our food system, and many people are feeling urgency to take greater responsibility for their food and where it comes from. In light of the pandemic and the associated lockdowns, unemployment, workforce limitations, and rising food costs, we are witnessing an unprecedented interest in food security, local supply chains, health & wellness, and immunity. People want to take action, but where to begin?!
This online workshop focuses on edible plants that are particularly useful in the context of emergencies. We will focus on widely-available wild plants, nutrient-dense “weeds”, and fast-growing annual plants that ensure a quick and abundant harvest.
THIS WORKSHOP MIGHT BE FOR YOU IF:
- You have always WANTED to start growing your own food, but don’t know where to start
- You want fresh, nutrient-dense food, as quickly as possible
- You are looking for plants that are easy-to-grow and provide an abundant harvest
- You have no space or limited space for a garden, but still want to take responsibility for your food
- You want a personal food security plan that works in both urban/rural contexts
- You are interested in widely-available edible wild plants
- You are seeking a diverse approach to food security
- You want to deepen your connection to nature and engage your environment in a new way
- You want to feel more prepared and self-reliant in case of food shortages or supply-chain breakdowns
IN THIS WORKSHOP, WE WILL EXPLORE:
- Creating a food security strategy that integrates with your current lifestyle
- Quick-turn-around crops
- Easy-to-grow edibles for bold beginners
- High-yield plants that produce throughout the season
- Resources for continued ongoing education
- Strategies for long-term food security
- Solutions for urban environments, including apartments and condos
- Growing food indoors and in small spaces
- Edible wild plants & weeds with recipes & resources
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS @ EDIBLE LANDSCAPES DESIGN LTD:
We are a team of passionate professionals serving home-owners, businesses, farms, and DIY-ers to design, install and maintain edible landscapes that nourish the body, feed the soul, and regenerate the land.
Based in Victoria, BC, our team leverages 25+ years of combined experience and education in design, organic horticulture, tree care, market gardening, farming, restoration ecology, water management, and urban development.
Our lead instructor, Joshua Clae Wagler, is a passionate and sought-after instructor, having offered his educational services to over 1100 students since co-founding Edible Landscapes Design in 2013. He is an instructor at Pacific Rim College’s Permaculture & Resilient Ecosystems Program, helped developed the Food Forestry curriculum for the Growing Young Farmers Society, and has been invited to speak at the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific, for the Victoria Hardy Plants Group, Victoria Seedy Saturday Speaker Series (2018, 2019, 2020), The Haven on Gabriola Island, and the Victoria Master Gardeners Association.